Dentistry Expert Dr. Jonice Thompson Withanachchi: Flossing
Dr. Jonice Thompson Withanachchi
Is there a right way to floss your teeth? If so, what is the right way?
Yes, there is a proper way to floss your teeth. Here is a step-by-step guide:
1. Take about 18 inches of floss and wrap both ends on both of your middle fingers.
2. Hold the middle portion of the floss tightly between your thumbs and forefingers.
3. Never snap the floss between your teeth and into your gums, but use a gentle, rubbing motion.
4. When the floss reaches the gum line, use a C-shaped motion to bring the floss against one tooth.
5. Hold the floss tightly against the tooth, gently rubbing the side, moving it away from the gums in an up and down motion.
Repeat these steps on the rest of your teeth.